Monday, November 1, 2010

New Home - Before and Afters


Hi Everyone,

As some of you know, I just moved permanently to a new home in Omaha. I've been here just about a month, and in that time feel like I've accomplished quite a bit, but still have a ways to go. My parents have helped tremendously!

Just waiting on furniture to come from work for my home office, and that room will be more organized. I also need to sit down and really REALLY purge my clothes. I'll give you a heads up when the nearby Goodwill will have some cool deals!

In the first installment of sharing my home with you, I thought I would show some before and after pics! I LOVE BEFORE & AFTER pics!! Hope you do too!

DINING ROOM

BEFORE


Note the 60's light fixture...retro, but not a COOL retro, also the "not my style" cream carpet.

AFTER



First things first, we removed all the carpet in the dining room/living room. Oh what a breath of fresh air, it made all the difference!! A bit of a bummer the prior owners used 95million staples on it, but beyond that the hardwood floors are in great shape! (Thanks to my Dad for taking out all the staples and tack strips!!)

Also you will see I purchased a new light fixture to go with the new dining room table and chairs/bench.

The wallpaper is still in the dining room....baby steps. The painting/wallpaper removal is probably a spring 2011 project!!

LIVING ROOM

BEFORE


Again note the carpet. I wasn't sure I was crazy about the mirrors on the walls, soooo 60's...but a friend has the same wall and said "good luck removing it"...so I thought I'd live with it awhile and see what I thought!

AFTER

It makes such a difference in a home when all your own things are in it. Once I got all the pieces in the living room it all started to come together, and even the mirror wall doesn't bother me. It just adds another layer of texture.

I'm still adding things, and taking things out as I unpack a few other odds and ends. But I feel pretty good with the living room/dining room.

Maybe a new rug or two someday, but for now I'll move onto other rooms to finish!

FIREPLACE IN LIVING ROOM

BEFORE


Again did I tell you how much I wasn't a fan of the carpet?

AFTER

Another addition that made a big difference were the red curtains. These windows are huge! My Dad and I picked up the hardward and then realized it was pretty tight given I didn't include the borders in the measurements!! Oops, however I don't think they'd have made hardware any longer..at least non-customized. We had a "make it work" moment and got the poles up. I had hours of ironing that weekend, 6 panels for this large window, 2 for the dining room, and 6 more for the downstairs window!

Hope you enjoyed the first installment of my New Home BEFORE and AFTERS!!

What house projects are you all working on??

-Rach

6 comments:

  1. Very cool! It's really coming together and looks great! My MIL has the mirrored wall in her dining room - nothing worse than having to watch yourself eat! I always make sure my back is to them! Did you get the whole dining room table thing straightened out? It's very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, truly impressive for just a month!

    The floors look great. Can't even imagine how much work that took!

    We moved about five months ago, so I am slowly working through the boxes in the storage room. You know, like one a week. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackie - the furniture people brought the wrong table to replace and the wrong 2 chairs...a couple more weeks to wait!

    Elizabeth - Thanks! It'll be months before I can show the art room, and the spare room that looks like a closet right now...It will be quite the transformation once I get all those boxes unpacked!! It is so much work isn't it??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Rachel - I'm loving all those giant windows! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rachel! Loved seeing your new home space in Omaha! Everything you've done is perfect!!!!! Your fireplace is my favorite....I love that type of riverrock! Keep the pictures and stories coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it!!!
    It is just so darn cute!

    Can't wait for a tour!

    Love ya and had a great time in Omaha!
    Kara

    ReplyDelete